Search Romantique

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Jane Austen " Her Own Darling Child"

Jane Austen was born 16 December 1775. – 18 July 1817. She is a English novelist of romantic fiction. She is first on my list. Pride and Prejudice changed my life completely. Ms. Austen made me believe that true love exist. 
I actually saw the movie first before reading the novel ( which I must say is against my rules, I think reading the novel first is respect to the author. Sorry Ms. Austen) I saw the movie when I was 17,  and still praise it till this day.. and I must admit, somewhat in love with Mr.Darcy.


"It is a truth universally acknowledge that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be a what of a wife" Pride & Prejudice Chapter 1
When I finally got around too actually read the novel. I notice this is the first line in the novel, and the most powerful line . It sets the scenery for what life was like for most women in this time. Jane Austen realism too me is actually a innocent Romanticism, with a inch of sex appeal in the most innocent way.


The business of her life was to get her daughters married.
Pride & Prejudice Mrs. Bennett, Chapter 1.


Oh Mrs. Bennett. I must say, I laughed almost everything she said. As most would say Mrs.Bennett in the terms we use now, is a gold digger ? lol. My opinion on this is, things have not really change. Women now I would agree are more independent, but I would still say that marriage is still based on profit; In the name Ms. Gaskell "Trousseau". Regency marriage was based of dowry & social standing, now marriage is based what kind of empire we can make together or lust. In reality things haven't changed . Marriage is also going to be based on benefits. Now this what I loved about Mrs.Bennett, is that she could say things that people were thinking and feeling. Inappropriate.Yes, but you have to respect her for her honesty.

"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony, in a moment."

Pride & Prejudice Elizabeth Bennett Chapter 6

Elizabeth Bennett or should I say Elizabeth Darcy? I should hate her right? she stole my man? lol am joking.Oh I love, love , love Lizzy. I see myself as her sometimes, most of the bad traits I would say. Very stubborn girl, but with a lot of heart ( am guessing Mr.Darcy saw this also) Too much passion for a young lady in the regency?. I admire her strength for turning down Mr. Collins. Elizabeth had to know turning Mr. Collins down could be the end of her family, or of her ever getting a better offer. A women before her time? Yes. I actually admire Elizabeth more for her walking, shows her appreciation for nature and her humble character.  Elizabeth dislike her mother for blunt honesty. Elizabeth personality is actually similar to Ms. Bennett, I mean nothing compare to Lydia; LOL. As a heroine, I admire her, even her flaws.


Are the shades of Pemberley to be thus polluted?
Pride & Prejudice Lady Catherine De Bourgh  Chapter 56


Lady Catherine De Bourgh  ...  I actually liked her (I know don't laugh). Bold and cocky? can it get any better? . There is not much I can say about her, but she left a big impression. Mostly, negative to most of the world. I would never say I hate her, or love her. I would always say " everyone come with flaws. Most people give what they have received  from the world".


"Ah! Jane, I take your place now, and you must go lower, because I am a married woman"
Pride & Prejudice Lydia, Chapter 51.


Oh Lydia.. Just a silly girl? God yes! Lydia & Mr.Wickham. A match made in heaven? They somewhat deserve each other. I always wonder if Mr.wickham knew Mr.Darcy feelings for Elizabeth, which would give the reason why Mr.whickham thought eloping with Lydia was a smart move; Which did not work in he's favour in the end.. LOL. Love match? not sure... I would always like to believe Lydia was in love, while Mr.Wickham had a scheme.



"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."

Pride & Prejudice Charlotte Lucas, Chapter 6


How true is this quote? I must say I agree with Charlotte. This is my favorite quote. I feel most  relationships starts with vanity.  Dating is what it is ""dating". relationships goes with your partner telling you how great you are etc.  In my basic terms people tend to charm you.. eh in smaller terms they wear a mask until you actually see them for who they are. Am am not saying all relationships are this way. But most are. Charlotte marriage to Mr.Collins was a marriage of convenience. Or just survivor? I admire her. A strong character stuck in her ways. I must say, I was surprised when she announce her engagement to Mr. Collins? Hey I guess we all need love . lol
"The gentlemen pronounced him to be a fine figure of a man, the ladies declared he was much handsomer than Mr. Bingley, and he was looked at with great admiration for about half the evening, till his manners gave a disgust which tuned the tide of his popularity; for he was discovered to be proud, to be above his company, and above being pleased; and not all his large estate in Derbyshire could then save him from having a most forbidding, disagreeable countenance, and being unworthy to be compared with his friend"
Pride & Prejudice Other characters' reaction to Mr. Darcy, Chapter 3


"She is tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me."
Pride & Prejudice Mr. Darcy to Mr. Bingley about Elizabeth Bennett, Chapter 3.


I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow.
Pride & Prejudice Darcy to Miss Bingley, Chapter 6.

Elizabeth, having rather expected to affront him, was amazed at his gallantry; but there was a mixture of sweetness and archness in her manner which made it difficult for her to affront anybody; and Darcy had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her. He really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her connections, he should be in some danger.
Pride & Prejudice Chapter 10.




"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

Pride & Prejudice Chapter 34


"You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever."

Pride & Prejudice Darcy to Elizabeth, Chapter 58.



You were disgusted with the women who were always speaking and looking, and thinking for your approbation alone. I roused, and interested you, because I was so unlike them.
Pride &Prejudice Elizabeth to Darcy, Chapter 60.

Have you guessed who I am speaking of? LOL. 
This man made me believe,  made me feel, smile, & cry. He made me believe in true love. I was only seventeen, Never believed in love, never thought it to be possible. Then here comes Mr.Darcy; I must say he changed my life, and prospective on love, and men. A man that see hes ways are in fault, and changed he's ways in the name of love. Amazing. I admire Mr.Darcy devotion the most; Have you ever seen a man proposed get turn down, and then ask again. I was in awe, I just could not believe it. I watched the movie and read the novel for two years straight. I'd watch the movie when I woke up,  pick up the novel during the day,  and watch the movie before sleep. Sounds crazy, I know. I was just amazed how their dislike turned into true love. Of course, I know all men are not like that. LOL . Am not that crazy. But I figure some out there are. Gives me hope for near future. Okay, maybe. LOL.


Let me stop here. Because I know I can go on and on and on. LOL. I am very sorry I left out most of the characters. But these characters, either touched my heart, or made think of life in a new prospective.  And I thank Jane Austen for giving birth to "her own darling child" also for bringing me to the wonderful world of English Literature.
Thank you for reading Romantique Innocence. I hope my blog brings you joy, peace, and love and a laugh LOL.
Love Always
Nailah D'arcy

No comments:

ShareThis

Romantique Innocence By Nailah D'arcy